Sunday, 25 March 2012

Day Two - Our Savannah Adventure

    Today we woke up in Savannah Georgia.  I have always wanted to visit Savannah, and this was a perfect opportunity.  It was hard to know where to even begin our exploration.  We began by visiting the Savannah Wildlife Refuge.  The visitor's center was closed, but we were still able to drive through part of the reserve.  It was so beautiful.  The spanish moss was everywhere.  The best part for us was seeing the aligators sunning themselves.  There were parts of the refuge that looked like before time began.  Even the air smelled better.  The kids were transfixed, and Christopher and I kept looking at each other and sighing.

     With great hesitation we headed back into Savannah.  We decided that we should get something for dinner before heading into Orlando.  We are sooooooo smart!  We went on Bay Street, and then down this beautiful set of stairs down to the bay.  It was breath taking.  We wandered down the street, marveling at everything around us.  We decided to go to "Fiddlers Crab Shack".  Oh my goodness.  I had crab legs (my standard).  Christopher who is much more adventurous than me ordered steamed oysters and mussels in a white wine and garlic sauce.  I was very brave and tried one of his mussels.  Once you get past the appearance, they were quite tastey.  I of cource made an ass of myself by asking the poor man at the bar a million questions about what he was doing.  He was really nice and friendly guy and answered all of my questions, and did not even roll his eyes at me once.  He was opening up the oysters.  Who knew it was such a process.  We really do meet the nicet people on our travels.

    After we had finished our dinner we walked down to the River Street Sweets Candy Store.  I thought that I may have died and gone to heaven.  Christopher's Mom and Dad had/ have a time share in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.  On frequent visits we have gone to Barefoot Landing and enjoyed this very same store that apparently has two sites.  The store was really large.  As we walked through the doors a girl offered us warm samples of pralines.  Did I mention that they were still warm?  If heaven has a taste, that is what it is.  We just looked in the glass display, trying to decide which of the many delicious treats we would buy.  I wanted to press my face up to the glass, but thought people might look at me a little funny.  In the end Christopher and I decided on "Bear Claws".  For those of you not in the know, a "bear claw" is giant turtle, the size of the palm of my hand (see above oh so very tastey picture).  It is pecans, gooey carmel, topped with milk chocolate.  It may be for the best that we don't get to come to this wonderful shop too often.  Oh so very good, but not that cheap!

So this ends today's chapter.  It took us four and a half hours to get from Savannah to Orlando with four kids shouting every two freaking minutes, "are we in Orlando yet?", and a little blonde girl shouting up "Can we go home?"  No children were injured on the trip (injured by me), and we are set to take on our next adventure, Universal Studios tomorrow.  I think I might need my rest for this one.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you are all having a wonderful time,Glad to hear you have not injured the kids.I am loving the pictures you send keep em coming please.Say hi! to Harry Potter for me.The crab you had looks very tasty,the candy well you know what I think about choc choc need I say more.Poor little Elly likes the comfort of home give her a big kiss and hug from me,and af course the other kids to.Talk to you on skpe you