Friday 9 March 2012

Dinner for 6 for $6.00 or under - Tuna Cakes Yum !


    This is a tried and true family favourite.  If I were a betting woman, I would say that this kid pleasing recipe has been in my family for at least three generations!  So tasty, inexpensive and quick.  As a little girl I would get very excited when I found out that we were having Tuna Cakes.  My whole family gets excited when I tell them that tuna cakes are what we are having for dinner.  This recipe makes enough for a family of 6 to gorge themselves, and have left overs.


Tuna Cakes Yum

You will need...

1 pot of mashed potatoes ( left overs work perfectly well.  I use about 2 and a half pounds of potatoes)
chives or finely chopped green onion
salt and pepper
butter ( you can adjust this to suite yourself, I LOVE butter)
2 cans of tuna, rinsed and drained

Make your mashed potatoes.  I like to use the potato masher and then add my butter, salt, and milk.  I use my mix master to whip them.  Then add your chives/ onion pepper, and drained tuna, stir in.
Melt some butter in the pan.  As you can tell by my picture below, I have a very old dilapidated frying pan.  That old girl has stood the test of time, just like this recipe.  It is missing a leg and a handle, I just use an oven mitt to balance it (how's that for safety first).

    After the butter is all nice and melted, I use my scoop and scoop my potato/ tuna mix into the pan.


    I then press them down lightly with a fork.  You want to let them get a nice brown ( the crusty part is the very best part.  We all fight over the crusty bits).


    It takes about 5 minutes to crisp them to a golden brown.  It makes them crusty on the outside, and soft and mushy on the inside.  These are a real kid pleaser.  I teamed it up with broccoli for dinner because at our house, broccoli is the only vegetable that the kids can all agree on.

If you are asking yourself how I came about $6.00 for this dinner, here is the breakdown...
half of a bag of potatoes $1.50
two cans of tuna $1.00 each
1/4 of a pound of butter $3.00 a pound on sale - so $ 0.75
milk
2 heads of broccoli $2.00 ($1.00 each on sale)

So now I have shared a family recipe, that is quick, easy and soooooooo good.


1 comment:

  1. It was the sam






















    We all love Tuna cakes,my Mom used to make them for us when I was little,she used to put green onion in them, and then she would take a spoon full and place it on a floured board then drop them in the pan where they would get all golden brown and crunchy.That is how I learned to make them .Now you do it for your family,
    some recipes just keep on going from one family to the next

    ReplyDelete