Friday 29 March 2013

Fancy Pancakes


    We are headed into a four day week-end.  This morning it was so nice to not have to wake up to an alarm clock.  It was nice to not have to be anywhere.  We just started our day nice and slow.  We had a late breakfast, and I made pancakes.




    For a while now I have wanted to try something a little more fun with the pancakes.  This morning I had the time.  I sent Christopher off to our local dollar store in search of ketchup/ mustard bottles.  He came back empty handed.  For a moment I considered giving up, but I'm not a quitter!  I decided to look in the fridge.  Low and behold I found two expired salad dressings.  I poured them out and then washed out the containers.  Next  I made a big batch of pancake batter.  I seperated it into two bowls.  I put blue food colouring gel in one, and pink food colouring gel in one.  


    Very carefully I poured my batter into the bottles.  I heated up the griddle and we were off to the races.  


    I first poured out a backwards letter "L".  I did it backwards so that when I flipped it, it would be the right way.  I have to say that the salad dressing bottle really worked well.  I let it cook for a little while so that when I poured the next colour of batter it would not melt together.


    I tried to make them look like Easter Eggs, but it did not turn out so even.


     I made all of the kids their initials, and Elly insisted on having the letter "L".  I also made a whole bunch of Easter Egg pancakes.  Shockingly the kids were impressed, and excited.  They ate a lot of pancakes, and I enjoyed playing with their food.  


No comments:

Post a Comment