Saturday 4 August 2012

Breakfast For Dinner / How to Make Your Own Baking Powder


    It's HOT!  I don't remember a hotter summer than this one.  I did not feel like cooking dinner, but I had to, my family still likes to eat, even when it's hot. I decided to make something fun for dinner... rainbow sprinkle pancakes (plus pancakes don't heat the kitchen up).


    There was one small problem with my plan... I did not have any baking powder, and the stores were now closed.  I had already measured the flour and sugar into my bowl... what could I do?  Enter the trusty computer i.e. the internet.  I typed in "How to make baking powder".  It turns out baking powder is baking soda mixed with two parts cream of tartar.  I am a doubting Thomas.  I checked three different sites, each confirming the other.  In the end I had no choice, but it worked.


My Pancake Recipe...
(or should I say, Company's Coming "Muffin's and More")

 1/2 cup all- purpose flour                                       1 Egg, beaten
1 Tbsp Sugar                                                          2 Tbsp Cooking Oil
1 Tbsp Baking powder (one part baking soda to two parts cream of tartar)
1/2 tsp salt                                                              1 1/2 Cup of Milk

Mix the dry ingredients, then whisk in the wet ingredients.  Don't over mix it, or it won't be fluffy (trust me on this one, I know from experience).  I added the sprinkles at this point. The key to great pancakes is a hot pan.  Turn them when they start to bubble.  


    So now you know, if your recipe calls for "baking powder", and you don't have any, make your own.  All this time I have been spending an arm and a leg on baking powder, and I could have just been making it myself, who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment