Monday 18 June 2012

Prince Edward County Lavender


    A few weeks ago I was invited to the Great Canadian Cheese Festival.  It was AWESOME!!!!!!  We had so much fun.  While we were touring around we saw a booth for the Prince Edward County Lavender.  I have been fascinated with lavender for a while now.  I don't really know why I have this fascination, but I do.  I tried to grow it a few years back.  I am an instant gratification type of a girl, and was disappointed that my lavender did not look like the lavender out of books.  I discovered that it takes three years for lavender to mature, that explains a lot.


    The booth had so many beautiful lavender products.  Who knew that the herb that smells so nice and scares off moths could be eaten?  Well it can, because they had cookies and treats that contained lavender.  So many beautiful products to choose from.  I wanted them all!


    I asked the lady at the booth if they allow people to come to the farm, "Oh yes."  That was a little bit excitement for me.  She then told me about the "Lavender Festival" that they were hosting July 7 - 8 from 10 am - 5 p.m.  The cost of the admission is $5.00 and kids under 12 get in for free.  Each of the days they were going to have bands, and different activities.  $5 seems like a deal for all of that!  They plan to share their knowledge about growing and maintaining lavender.  There is is even pick your own lavender.  That is pretty neat to me.  I could go out in their fields and pick my own lavender... instant gratification!
    On the website they ask that people do not bring dogs.  I have to admit I am perplexed at the amount of people that think that their dogs should automatically be included in things.  It's a pet peeve of mine (no pun intended).  I HATE when I go to events and there are people walking around with their dogs, like it was their divine right to bring their dog.  Don't get me wrong, until recently I was a pet owner.  I loved my pets dearly, but they were just that ... pets.  I did not think that they should accompany me on vacation ( unless it was a cottage that I had permission to bring them), or should go to festivals.  It's not fair to the other's around you to bring your dog.  What if my child was severely allergic to dogs?  What if I was terrified of dogs?  So if you are "one of those people", please leave your dog at home.  Sorry, I got a little carried away there, forgive my rant.

    If you are looking for something that is fun and educational this summer, why not go over to Prince Edward County in Hillier and visit the Lavender Farm.  I know that I plan to.  If you would like some more information please feel free to visit their website....

No comments:

Post a Comment