Monday 13 January 2014

Finally - Breakfast Casserole!


    Everyone sat around the kitchen table, eating breakfast.  There were no groans of delight, but neither were there whines of "I don't like this!"  They all just sat there eating and chatting.  I had put my breakfast casserole to the test, and it had passed!


    You may recall me prattling on about wanting to try making a breakfast casserole.  It is something that I have been wanting to do for quite some time, but for whatever reason haven't.  I think that I wondered if all of the work was worth it if my family didn't like it.  Whatever the reason, it sat on my to do list, undone... until this week!


    Thursday night I took the initiative and finally made the casserole up.  I really like to try to send the kids to school with a hot meal that will carry them through until their first lunch.  I say I try, I am not always successful, but any time that I can get my ducks in a row and do it, I feel like a good mother.
    The nice thing about this recipe is you do the work the night before.  I cooked up my bacon, diced my onions, grated cheese.  As I worked away I felt like a really great mother, although trepidatious, what if I went to all of this trouble and they hated it?

Breakfast Casserole (adjusted from the December 2013 Food Network Magazine)

1 loaf of farmers bread cut into cubes (use any kind, I used farmers because that's what I had)
2 cups of cheddar cheese and Asiago cheese finely grated
1 onion diced and carmelized in my leftover glorious bacon fat.
1/4 cup leftover cooked broccoli that I had cut up
1 package of bacon, cooked and crumbled
10 eggs whisked with 1 cup of 1/2 and 1/2 cream and 2 cups of 2% milk with a little grated parmesan cheese.

    I buttered my stoneware 9x11 pan.  I then cubed my bread slices (some of it was buttered because it was leftovers from the night before's dinner.)  I put those in the bottom of the dish.  Next I sprinkled all but 1/2 cup of my cheese mix.  Next I added the onions, broccoli and bacon.  Lastly I poured in my egg mixture.  I then put some plastic wrap over the top of the pan, popped it in the refrigerator and went to bed.  
    Friday morning I got up at 6:30 and pulled the casserole out of the refrigerator.  I sprinkled the remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar/ assiago cheese over the top and popped it into the oven at 325 degrees.  I then hopped back into bed and slept for another half hour.  It had to took for an hour.


    The kids all ate without complaint.  I feel like I should be writing this down somewhere for prosperity.  Christopher ate two big portions.  The next time I make it, and there will most definitely be a next time, I will probably reduce the milk portion.  I found the bottom of the casserole too creamy ( I never thought that I would ever say something was too creamy).  It was quite tasty, and it was nice to get up to a nice hot breakfast with minimal work that morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment