Tuesday 12 May 2015

Our Community Re-Use Day


    Now I don't mean to brag or anything, but I am pretty sure that I live in the best town ever!  
This little town of mine is everything you could want for a place to raise your family, and I'm told to retire to, but I'm quite a ways off (who am I kidding, by the time we get Elly out of high school we will be to senile to know if we enjoy retirement).  Our's is a community that comes together in times of crisis.  It's that place that when I have gone to the grocery store, only to discover that I have no wallet in my purse at the check out, the cashier says "Hey Tristan, just bring it by later", or someone behind me says "I can pay for that, and you can just pay me later."  Imagine what would have happened in the big faceless cities.
    Now that I've bragged a bit, I wanted to share a genius idea that I'm pretty sure our Community Development Manager, Rachelle Hardesty has come up with.  It's a "Good's Exchange".  Basically it's like going to a yard sale, but instead of paying you just walk away with your item(s) for free.  It's an opportunity for people to clean out their attic's, garages, or basements and de-clutter, but knowing that someone else has a use for it.  I'm looking forward to seeing everyone out and about shopping for their new treasures.  Not only is it an amazing way to de-clutter your home, but it's an amazing way to strike up conversations and get to know the people in this amazing community.
    This May 16 (that's this week-end), for those of you living in Tweed, put out your usable items, mark them "free".  Walk around the neighbourhoods, and speak to the people you see, get to know your community neighbours.  I would like to take this one step further and ask that the people in my community who take advantage of this, please send me pictures of your best finds and I will put them on the blog.  Heck, maybe I can try to put together a prize for the best picture.  

No comments:

Post a Comment