Saturday 9 May 2015

Fried Cauliflower - YUM



    Last summer I thought I was very smart, I bought up the cauliflower while it was reasonably priced.  I cut it into small bits, blanched and flash froze it (I tossed it into boiling water for a second or so, then lay out the cauliflower on a baking sheet and let it freeze).  Unfortunately, although my plan was well thought out, the cauliflower was soggy when it came around to cooking it.  I kind of wanted to cry.  I had spent hours feeling like mother earth, laying down stores for the winter, only to have it blow up in my face.


    I am not one to easily admit defeat.  My poor husband can attest to this fact!  I took lemons and made lemonade (not literally, although technically I could).  I took that sad, soggy, albino cauliflower and made it delicious once again (although probably not as health conscious).

    I began by cutting the cauliflower into small florets, and put them into a bowl.  I then heated up my beautiful best friend, my cast iron frying pan.  I put in a generous amount of butter and let it melt.  Honestly at this point I feel like I am writing erotica.  Next I poured in a small amount of the florets.  I let them brown up a little, then added a sprinkle of onion power and a sprinkle of garlic powder, salt and fresh ground pepper.  In a perfect world, I should have cooked some nice diced onions and a clove of garlic, but hey.  I let the florets get nice and brown, then tossed them into a casserole and started all over again.


    The almost final step is to add some finely grated old cheddar cheese (or honestly any kind of cheese that you might like) and if you are so lucky as to have it, everything tastes better with real bacon bits.  If you are serving right away you don't have to put them in a casserole, they actually held the heat really nicely.  If there's a little gap in cooking and serving, they can go in a casserole and warm up really nicely.


    So there you have it, my newest favourite side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment